Here I am, two years later, still working on a draft of my second novel. In order to commemorate all that I’ve learned during this extraordinary run of procrastination, I will pass on this great wisdom to you through a top ten list of how not to finish writing your book.
10. You practice the art of deflection by saying yes to everything and everyone who needs you, especially if it creates an overloaded work schedule and after-hours volunteer work.
9. You feel guilty for hibernating every weekend with your computer so you plan a big family dinner.
8. You watch a new episode season of Mad Men on Netflix.
7. You call your mom, your sister, and your best friend and make plans for the weekend.
6. You go shopping, get a haircut, and then stop at the Cupcake Lounge for dessert.
5. You incessantly watch the social media indicators light up on your phone and check the phone each time this happens.
4. You pet the cat until it lulls you into taking a nap.
3. You clean the house and then start that basement reno project that you’ve always been talking about.
2. You doubt your words and scrap your first draft.
1. You decide that in order to be a better writer, you need to re-educate yourself in the classics, so you start reading Anna Karenina.
See, you're not alone. As they say, slow and stead wins the race, so keep writing!